- Esperance shark attack: Bunbury man suffers serious injuries
- A timeline of shark attacks on WA beaches
- Esperance shark attack: Did Fisheries catch the right sharks?
THE Bunbury community is rallying around 23-year-old Sean Pollard who was attacked by a shark in Esperance on Thursday morning.
Mr Pollard, who is from Bunbury, was surfing at a break east of Wylie Bay, eight kilometres east of Esperance, when he was attacked around 11am this morning.
A spokesman for St John Ambulance told Fairfax Media the man had been bitten on both of his arms and that the person who called the ambulance said the victim had lost one arm from the wrist and other from the elbow, along with suffering lacerations to a leg.
"Absolutely gutted for ya Polly. Thinking of you and your family and wishing you a speedy recovery. Everyone loves you mate! Xx."
Later on Thursday South Bunbury Football Club confirmed that their reserves player Mr Pollard was the man injured in the attack
Club president Jeff Hayres released a statement to say the club will do everything they can to support Mr Pollard.
"The South Bunbury Football Club is devastated by the news that one of our members has suffered severe injuries in the shark attack in Esperance earlier today," Mr Hayres said.
"Our thoughts and best wishes go to our clubman Sean Pollard and the family at this point in time.
"Our only concern is for his wellbeing and that the family's privacy is respected at this very traumatic time."
News of the attack was first reported after emergency services received a 000 call to report a shark attack.
The Royal Flying Doctor Service was sent to Esperance and flew Mr Pollard to Jandakot Airport.
The plane landed at 4.30pm and Mr Pollard was rushed to Royal Perth Hospital.
A tweet from the Royal Flying Doctor Service confirmed Mr Pollard had lost both of his arms in the attack.
Beaches at Wylie Bay, near Esperance, have been closed and the Department of Fisheries captured and destroyed the shark believed to be the one involved in the attack.
Esperance Shire President Malcolm Heasman said it was recommended that locals and tourists stay out of the water until the situation is resolved.
“An incident of this nature is dreadful for those involved and we send our prayers and best wishes to the young man and his immediate family. I understand that staying out of the water may be an inconvenience for some however it has been recommended that we should resist the urge for the next few days for our own safety," he said.
Messages of support from players at the football club and former Bunbury Senior High School students flooded Mr Pollard's facebook page.
"All the best wishes mate, I have full respect for you and I'm wishing you the best recovery!!!" Matt Greco wrote.
"Praying and hoping for speedy recovery Pollard!! Thinking of ya mate and here for ya champ!" Sean Barret wrote.
"Absolutely gutted for ya Polly. Thinking of you and your family and wishing you a speedy recovery. Everyone loves you mate! Xx," Brooke Tyrrell wrote.
"Thoughts are with you mate. Get better man," South Bunbury Football Club league vice-captain Chris Andrew wrote.
The South Bunbury reserves side are set to take on Carey Park Football Club in the South West Football League grand final on Sunday.