SWFL finals week 3: South Bunbury beat Harvey to make grand final | photos

History repeated a dose of heartbreak for the Harvey Bulls who have fallen one game short of the South West Football League grand final for the second year in a row. 

Both in season 2015 and 2016 the Bulls finished the regular season in fifth and climbed over fancied opponents to make the second preliminary final. 

This year their opponents were South Bunbury who kicked with the breeze in the first term. 

In overcast conditions Guy Piggott kicked the first goal of the game with Matt Giacci putting the TIgers two goals up soon after. 

A major to Harvey’s Nic Carney gave South Bunbury a 2.3.15 to 1.2.8 lead at quarter time. 

Their lead trimmed to one point when Michael Genovese goaled for the Bulls before Jakeb Tartaglia copped a strong bump and hobbled off. 

With rain starting to fall, South’s Jack Deschamp goaled to see his side leading 4.3.27 to 2.4.16 at the main break. 

The lights were turned on for the second half with the skies continuing to darken. 

The Bulls had some work to do in the third but it was the Tigers who added six point to the board first through Leigh Kohlmann. 

The lead increased further still thanks to majors from Anthony Tsalikis and Dylan Harper. 

In fact the Bulls didn’t score in the third term to trail 7.7.49 to 2.4.16 at the final change. 

In the three-quarter time huddle, South Bunbury coach Mark Docking urged his side to continue to be ruthless which they were. 

Keeping the skill level high, Tom Harper added a goal for the Tigers before Kohlmann kicked his second. 

Jacob Pickett pegged one back for the Bulls before South Bunbury’s vice captain Jaxon Bell sealed the win for the Tigers with the last goal of the match. 

The 10.7.67 to 3.7.25 result sees South Bunbury through to this year’s grand final where they will face Collie and there is a good chance the Eagles heard the South Bunbury song belting out of the Hands Oval change room from the other side of the hill. 

After the game Docking said the side showed a lot of endeavour during the game. 

“We had a real commitment to the contest today and the stakes are certainly no higher than your season being over so it was good the boys could get the job done,” he said. 

Last year it was Busselton who got the better of Harvey in the preliminary final and went on to capture the flag. 

Will history repeat itself once more? Tigers fans certainly hope so.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide