Mother charged over alleged violent assault on five-year-old son in a Busselton carpark

A woman from Rockingham has been charged after allegedly violently assaulting her five year old son in a Busselton carpark on Tuesday.
A woman from Rockingham has been charged after allegedly violently assaulting her five year old son in a Busselton carpark on Tuesday.

A woman from Rockingham faced Bunbury Magistrates Court on Wednesday accused of assaulting her five-year-old son in public on Tuesday. 

The woman was in the carpark of the Woolworths on Kent Street, Busselton at 11.20am on Tuesday, September 5. 

Police prosecutor Sergeant Brian McCormack told the court the woman is alleged to have struck the young boy with a number of punches and open-hand slaps before picking him up by the collar and putting him into a vehicle. 

Sergeant McCormack said once inside the vehicle, the woman allegedly “struck the boy a number of times to the face with open-handed slaps”.

The woman was arrested by Busselton Police later that day and conveyed to the local station for a video record of interview where she reportedly admitted to “roughing up the child a little bit”.

She was charged with common assault over the incident. 

Crying while in the dock, the woman told Magistrate Evan Shackleton the matter had been “blown out of proportion”. 

“I smacked my child in public, yes, but I would never punch a child – never,” she said.

The woman was also charged with two counts of stealing, one count of possessing drug paraphernalia and one count of possessing a controlled weapon.  

Magistrate Shackleton adjourned the matter to September 14 for legal advice. 

The woman was granted bail with a $2000 personal undertaking, a $2000 surety and a condition that she not approach within 10 metres of her son or attempt to contact him by any means.