Newell highway, north of Dubbo, closed after two killed and ten injured in multi-vehicle traffic accident

Two people have died and 10 people are injured following a seven car crash on the Newell Highway near Dubbo in the central west on Tuesday afternoon. 

Orana superintendent Peter McKenna confirmed seven vehicles travelling southbound on the Newell Highway were involved in the crash at the sight of roadworks. Two of those vehicles were prime movers. 

Twelve people in total were in the seven vehicles, with two people deceased at the scene. Eight people have been taken by road ambulance to Dubbo base hospital while another two people remained trapped in the vehicles. 

NSW Fire and Rescue and Volunteer Rescue Association personnel are working to release the trapped people, with Ambulance helicopter waiting to transport them to Sydney hospitals. 

Supt McKenna said the road is likely to remain closed for several hours, including into the night, with Crash Investigation Units from Sydney and Bathurst travelling to the scene to assist detectives with the investgation. 

NSW Ambulance officer Chris Wilson said six ambulance crews and two helicopters attended the scene with several patients transported in a stable condition. 

He said they were “very fortunate considering the incident.” 

One of the three people trapped, an 18-year-old male, had already been released and taken to hospital. 

EARLIER: Two people have died and three people were trapped after a multi-vehicle crash about 20 kilometres north of Dubbo.

Emergency services were called to the location about 12.30pm on Tuesday after reports of a collision involving two trucks and four cars.

Eight ambulance crews and three choppers are at the accident site on the Newell Highway.

"One car is believed to be completely crushed under a truck," said NSW Ambulance superintendent Kathy Golledge.

"We are treating multiple patients, some are still trapped by compression at this stage."

Authorities have described the scene as "absolute carnage".

The Newell Highway is currently closed in both directions and motorists should avoid the area. For the latest traffic updates visit

About 20 emergency service vehicles are on the scene, with crash investigators and SafeWork NSW officers en route.

Motorists are advised to avoid the area.

Motorists needing to travel between Gilgandra and Dubbo are advised to travel via Narromine along the Mitchell Highway and Eumungerie Road.

This diversion is suitable for all vehicles. The highway is expected to remain closed for some time. For the latest traffic information, visit