The $2.7 MILLION upgrade of Hands Oval, which is expected to attract more high-profile sporting events to Bunbury, is well underway and ahead of schedule.
A new water bore has now been installed and all tenders for ground works have been awarded.
Work will begin on Monday, November 12 and is expected to be complete by the end of February.
This includes removing and replacing the existing turf and soil, installing reticulation, building the boundary fence, disabled ramp and new seating.
Part of the funding was allocated to develop the cricket nets at the Recreation Ground on the corner of Symmons Street and Ocean Drive.
City of Bunbury’s works and services director Phil Harris said this was also progressing well.
“So far the practice wicket’s netting and synthetic surface have been replaced and an all abilities access ramp has been installed at the club rooms,” Mr Harris said.
“All in all the project is progressing well ahead of expected times and Hands
Oval will most certainly be available for the 2013 football season, pending any major hold ups.”
The only component that will be delayed is the lighting, which is not likely to be installed until the end of March.
When work starts the oval will no longer be accessible to the public.
However cars that have been parking in the oval off Clarke Street can continue to park at that location.