Bunbury man "shocked" by sudden car fire | photos

A BUNBURY man has told the Bunbury Mail he was completely shocked when his car caught fire on Bussell Highway on Wednesday morning. 

Driving from Bunbury to Busselton in his BMW X5, Martin Walsh quickly pulled into Bentley Drive near Capel when he noticed smoke under the bonnet. 

He said the smoke quickly filled the interior of the car as he jumped out and passersby stopped to see if they could stop the flames engulfing the car. 

"It is unbelievable just how quickly the car went from driving fine to burnt," Mr Walsh said. 

"It was driving well and not making any noises one minute to on fire the next.

"Within 10 minutes the entire car was gone."

"It is unbelievable just how quickly the car went from driving fine to burnt."

Bunbury man Martin Walsh.

Mr Walsh said he was lucky that he did not have his wife or children in the car with him. 

"I'm lucky I was on my own and not hurt," he said. 

"I don't think I've lost anything too valuable other than the car."

Mr Walsh told the Mail he had purchased the second hand car in April or May and it still "looked brand new."

Volunteer firefighters from Elgin attended the scene to extinguish the car and a section of bushland which also caught fire. 

Mr Walsh was insured and hopes to have the vehicle replaced soon. 


Discuss "Bunbury man "shocked" by sudden car fire | photos"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.