Bunbury pet owners warned to avoid washed up sea hares

The City of Bunbury are warning dog owners to temporarily avoid Bunbury beaches with a number of sea hares washing up after recent bad weather. 

The slug-like creatures are approximately 30 centimeters in size and carry harmful toxins that can lead to sickness or death in pets. 

Symptoms to look out for include over excitement, tremors, seizures, drooling and vomiting. 

If you believe your dog has licked or ingested a sea hare or is showing the above symptoms, contact your vet immediately. 

A City of Bunbury spokesperson confirmed the appearance of these slug like creatures on local beaches is not uncommon and environment officers will not be removing the creatures, preferring to let nature run its course and letting the tide wash the hares back out again.