SWFL 2017 rd 8: Busselton score their first win | photos

The Busselton Magpies are on the board in the 2017 South West Football League season with a round eight defeat of Carey Park. 

The Magpies trailed by more than five goals late in the second quarter but clawed their way back to win by 13 points. 

Both sides started fast, eager to put early goals on the board. 

Eli Hill kicked the opening goal for the Panthers from a great set shot with James Wallam added a second from a 50 metre penalty moments later. 

Goals to Busselton’s Jason Fish and Tayte Deveney helped to give the Magpies a six point lead at the first change. 

The Panthers came out firing in the second half, banging home five straight goals. 

Hill kicked a major in the first 30 seconds of the term with Jordan Yarran cooling icing another moments later. 

Hill’s third came from a costly Busselton turnover that left him open in the square before Jamahl Mulholland showed some incredible speed and accurate kicking to add six more points. 

Aidan De Campo continued to pile pain on Busselton in the back half of the term with Busselton’ only goal for the term coming from Jackson Arbon. 

The half time scoreboard favoured Carey Park 8.4.52 to 4.3.27. 

When the Panthers kicked the first goal of the third term through Hill, it looked like they were set for a convincing victory but Busselton began to find space to work their way back into the contest. 

Fraser kicked his second before Ethan Bowman added six more points. 

A ripping set-shot from James Daykin after a 50 metre penalty, helped to bridge the margin to just six points at the final change. 

Carey Park coach Richard Barnard demanded his senior players stand up and be counted, telling his cohort he would accept nothing less than a win from this point. 

With the scores so close, Busselton’s senior players also took it upon themselves to score their sides first win of the year. 

Daykin added a second to give Busselton a lead which Fraser helped to stretch further by soccering through a classic goal from 20 metres out.

Bowman kicked what looked to be the sealer five minutes from full time but Hill managed to score his fifth and sixth goals of the game before full time. 

The final siren saw Busselton move off the bottom of the ladder with a 13.9.87 to 11.8.74 win.

The defeat was soured further for Carey Park with Arron Hill helped from the ground by the trainers late in the game with a right shoulder injury. 

Busselton coach Steve Lester said it was nice for the guys to stand up and get a win after going close a few times. 

“We had to show a bit of character today, especially given where we were near half time,” he said. 

“The message to the boys was to work hard and get yourselves within striking distance which they did and eventually we got over the top.”  

Lester said youngster Tayte Deveney impressed most in the win which was particularly impressive given he has only played 10 to 12 league games to date. 

He also said Busselton hope to get back some of their senior players who are out with injuries after the bye, including Jed Kemp. 

This story Busselton defeat Carey Park in round eight | photos first appeared on Busselton-Dunsborough Mail.