SWFL 2017 rd 9: Bulldogs get the better of Busselton | photos

The Bunbury Bulldogs demolished the Busselton Magpies in round nine of the South West Football League.

The conditions were perfect for a great game of footy – no wind, no rain and just slight chill.

It was a great one sided match for the Bulldogs who travelled to Sir Stewart Bovell Park.

The home side were up and about early in the first quarter, keeping the contest tight and kicking the first goal for the game thanks to Ben Daniels.

However, Bunbury had a quick reply from the likes of their forward Matt Martin.

Brett Peake also wanted in on the action and quickly kicked Bunbury’s second.

Busselton’s captain Aiden Fraser had the perfect opportunity to keep them in the contest with a free kick but failed to convert.

It seemed this was the beginning of the end for the Magpies as they couldn’t get another goal for the rest of the quarter while Bunbury went ahead by four goals.

First quarter highlights for Busselton went to Bailey Sanford who was working tirelessly to have the ball in his team’s advantage.

Ben Daniels kicked his second goal for the game and the first for the second term.

The Bulldogs went onto kicked the next six goals thanks to Brad Blake, Ryan Davis, Connor Walker, Cullen Boyd and Xavier Williamson.

After this rampage of goals, the Bulldogs did drop off and allowed Busselton to kick three goals before the half time siren.

Bunbury went into the main break with a healthy six goal lead.

The Bulldogs had many players pulling their weight throughout the game but Aiden Clarke, Kyle Bassett, Brad Blake, Patrick Farrant and Hayden Hancock really stood out.

The Magpies got a second wind in the third term, restricting Bunbury’s lead and only allowing them to kick one goal.

However they weren’t able to peg enough back to make a big dint in Bunbury’s margin.

Bunbury kicked four goals in the fourth quarter to cement their big lead.

One of the goals from Brett Peake was reminiscent of AFL player Steve Johnson.

The match did get heated with a small mallee which resulted in the umpire pulling out the yellowcard.

Busselton kicked two goals for the quarter but Bunbury finished the match off with two goals, one after the siren.

While the Bulldogs kicked 18 goals for the game, their main goal man in Matt Martin was kept to just two thanks to Busselton’s Regan Bell.

The final score was 9.9 (63) to 18.13 (121).

This story Bulldogs maul Magpies | Photos first appeared on Busselton-Dunsborough Mail.