A gas leak that forced Royal Perth Hospital to relocate some of its patients has been contained.
Wards 10A and Ward 11 of the South Block were moved to a separate section of the hospital on Friday afternoon after staff reported the odour just after midday.
Emergency WA issued a precautionary HAZMAT alert for those in the CBD area, while firefighters investigated the source of the smell.
"As a precautionary measure, people in the area should remain inside, out of the smoke or fumes, with doors and windows closed. Air conditioners should also be switched off.
"People should stay away from the area. If you are already in the area take advice from emergency services personnel."
Motorists have been asked to avoid the area and be aware of attending emergency services personnel, and RPH staff are reinstating clinical services.
People with medical concerns have been advised to call their local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222 if they are concerned.
Breaking: A gas leak at Royal Perth Hospital has forced an evacuation of patients & staff.??? News Talk 6PR 882 (@6PR) September 1, 2017