South West Phoenix Firebirds suffer 0-3 loss to Fremantle at WML Stadium

The South West Phoenix Firebirds crashed to a second successive 3-0 loss to Fremantle City on Sunday afternoon.

It was the Firebirds' first home loss in nearly two years as missed chances and defensive errors were again costly.

The Firebirds have now slipped into a battle for third spot - which could even see them finish as low as fifth.

The side went into the match at full strength, and enjoyed the sunshine on a good pitch after the dreadful conditions last week at Subiaco.

Captain Lucy Scott almost carved out a chance in the opening minute in what looked an ominous sign, and the Firebirds generally looked in control for most of the opening half.

However, in a seemingly growing trend, the Firebirds struggled to find the cutting edge to open teams up.

Again, a lack of cutting edge in the final third saw very few opportunities created.

With the Firebirds solid defensively, the first half ended delicately poised at 0-0.

The second half got underway and Fremantle scored early to give themselves the upper hand.

It was a quick breakaway that caught the Firebirds off guard, and ended up with a deflected shot finding its way into the bottom corner.

Fremantle had seized the momentum and pushed the Firebirds hard, sensing a chance to get on top.

The Firebirds were fighting back though and had a couple of very good chances to pull level, but were unable to take advantage.

They were then made to pay when a defensive mistake allowed Fremantle to double their lead after an hour, which put the game out of reach.

The remainder of the match was an arm wrestle, with both sides still going hard at each other.

Fremantle added salt to the wound by adding a third goal with virtually the last kick of the game to round out the 3-0 win.

It was a disappointing result for the Firebirds, who would have all but wrapped up third spot with a win.

But the side could finish as low as fifth, despite being in the title race just two weeks ago.

The Firebirds will need to bounce back this week against bottom-place Bassendean in a Saturday twilight fixture.

After thrashing Curtin University 4-0, the Firebirds recently suffered two consecutive losses to Subiaco.

The side previously defeated Wanneroo and the Northern Redbacks, before drawing 2-2 with UWA City.

Back in June, the Firebirds suffered a 0-2 loss to Joondalup and a 3-4 defeat to Queen's Park.

Earlier this year, however, they notched up wins over Bassendean, Fremantle City, Curtin University, UWA, Port Kennedy, and Wanneroo City.