The mother of a Queensland man who died from being hacked with a machete says she is happy her son's murderer has lost a bid to have a murder conviction overturned.
A tearful Jean Heron said she was glad about the outcome but sad her son never got to see the daughter, now aged four, his partner was expecting when he died.
Christopher Brian Newlove on Friday was unsuccessful in the Court of Appeal in his bid to have his conviction overturned.
Newlove murdered his friend Paul Heron at an inner Brisbane unit block in March 2015.
The court heard during the trial that Newlove took 20 Valium tablets before smashing the 42-year-old's head at least three times with a brick used as a doorstop, slashing his neck with a machete and and burning his genitals.
Ms Heron, who sat through the trial and the appeal, said she was happy her son was sleeping when he was first hit.
"Drugs and alcohol were involved, with him too, so maybe that's one occasion that I was happy that he was in a drugged sleep," she said.
Mr Heron's body was found after police were called to a break-in in the early hours of March 6, 2015.
The court heard during the trial that Mr Heron had died from the machete wound which cut his neck through the bone and severed two large veins and an artery.
The pair were friends, drank and used drugs together, and Mr Heron - who had no fixed address - often stayed at Newlove's home.
Newlove told the Brisbane Supreme Court jury in March last year that he had lied to police, saying that two men had broken into the property and killed his friend.
But he maintained he was not responsible for Mr Heron's murder.
Newlove was heard in a triple-zero call describing his friend's injuries.
"He's been stabbed and burned and macheted," he was heard to have said.
In sentencing Newlove to life in jail last year, Justice Peter Applegarth said the killer had no remorse and had lied to investigators and the court about not being involved in the murder.
"Your evidence was completely unconvincing," he said.
Australian Associated Press