South West Phoenix Firebirds play out 2-2 draw with Sorrento

Around the ground: Savannah Olsthoorn starred for the Firebirds against Sorrento on Sunday afternoon. Photo: Supplied.

Around the ground: Savannah Olsthoorn starred for the Firebirds against Sorrento on Sunday afternoon. Photo: Supplied.

The South West Phoenix Firebirds took a stranglehold of Football West - Division One on Sunday with a 2-2 draw at Sorrento.

The Firebirds twice came from behind to grab a share of the points and stay six points clear on top.

With only three matches remaining, the Firebirds require a maximum of one win and a draw to be crowned champions.

As the season moved towards its conclusion, the away trip to Sorrento loomed as the Firebirds' biggest obstacle.

The Firebirds were on a 10-match winning streak following their only loss for the season - a 1-0 reverse to Sorrento in Bunbury in round two.

This was seen as a chance for revenge and to put Sorrento away, after the two have spent much of the season in a tussle at the top.

UWA and Sorrento both lurked six points behind the Firebirds going in and even a loss would still have the the Firebirds in pole position. As such, the pressure was on Sorrento to win.

The Firebirds put in a very poor first-half performance, with several players making a catalogue of uncharacteristic errors.

A couple of glaring defensive mishaps led to Sorrento taking the lead just inside 20 minutes.

The Firebirds' passing game was absent in the first half, but their front three are always a huge threat and the side was back level within 10 minutes.

Nicole Suttie won a free kick and then scored it directly from 20 yards, as the Firebirds looked to settle things down.

It did not calm the nerves down though, and Sorrento took the lead again soon after.

Sorrento were relentless down the right during the first half. Having won a corner, captain Jodie Brough rose to head it in from close range to give Sorrento a 2-1 half-time lead.

The Firebirds were in dire need of re-setting at half time after a poor opening period, and managed to come out a different team in the second half.

Ava Richards hit the post within minutes of the restart and Sorrento were pinned in their own half for long periods.

Indeed, Sorrento did not manage a shot on target in the second half as the Firebirds took control.

Savannah Olsthoorn was peripheral for much of the half, but presented a threat whenever in possession

It was a great run from her which led to the Firebirds winning a corner 15 minutes from time.

Casey Widdeson swung in the corner and captain Shauna Wetherell rose magnificently to glance a fine header into the far corner.

Following the equaliser, it was just a question of whether Sorrento could hold out for a draw.

Suttie saw an effort go narrowly wide, while Olsthoorn and Widdeson both saw efforts hit the woodwork as the Firebirds continued to push.

Ultimately, a draw was a good result for the Firebirds and one that keeps them well clear at the top.

The Firebirds don't play any teams in the top half of the table over the final three weeks.

The side will be keen to pick up a win in their next game against Port Kennedy at home on Saturday night.