Augusta Margaret River Hawks take out 2021 South West Football League title

Historic win for Hawks

It was Augusta Margaret River league's dream come on Sunday September 19, when they took out the 2021 South West Football League grand final.

However, the day was a nightmare for the Busselton Football Club as the colts, reserves and league lost their matches.

In what was predicted to be a possible shoot out in the league, it was nowhere near it with neither teams scoring a goal in the first quarter.

A chance for a goal in the first quarter went begging as August Margaret River's Cody Rodgers marked the ball on the siren in front of goals, played on and was accurate but was not counted.

The atmosphere was strange in the first quarter, with a huge crowd at Hands Oval but most were silent.

Luckily the second quarter was a different story with Harry Taylor kicking the Hawks first goal.

It didn't take long for Hawk Beau Morgan to join in the fun with a consecutive goal.

Hawks' Mitch Ellis takes a grab in defence.

Hawks' Mitch Ellis takes a grab in defence.

For the Hawks third goal, Ben Smith was able to break away from a pack outside of the 50 metre and kick it through the big sticks on the run.

It was a far cry from Busselton's performance from the week before where Aiden Fraser and Mitch Howlett kicked five goals each for the team.

This week, Fraser was the only one to kick multiple goals for the Magpies with two.

After Fraser's first goal in the second term, the Hawks took control back with another two before half time.

The score at half time was 5.3.33 to 1.6.12.

The third quarter was much like the first, no goals and just three behinds between the two teams.

If Busselton were able to get a couple of quick goals early in the final term, they may have been in with a chance.

But the tide seemed against them as Harry Taylor kicked the Hawks' first goal of the last quarter.

The Hawks were able to pile on five goals in the last term to really put the boot in their opponents.

Busselton were trying to give their forwards every chance to score but most of the time when it went into their forward line, it was a behind or a Hawk defender quickly got it back out again.

It got a bit heated on the ground with multiple scuffles between the players.

In the third fight, Busselton's Dylan Patterson was carded for the match.

The Magpies were able to kick two goals in the last quarter and it was sad to see not much celebration as they knew all was already lost.

Beau Morgan gave himself the chance to win best on ground with another goal and the last for the match.

Hawks' coach Matt Jamieson embraces midfielder Simon Moore as he comes off the field in the last quarter.

Hawks' coach Matt Jamieson embraces midfielder Simon Moore as he comes off the field in the last quarter.

The final score was 10.6.66 to 3.8.26.

It was a true team effort for the Hawks, with multiple players standing out to take the best on ground Pike medal.

But it was Hayward medallist Simon Moore who won the medal.

This story Historic win for Hawks first appeared on Augusta-Margaret River Mail.