A tight-knit Victorian town that was home to Don and Gail Patterson gathered to farewell the couple who died from suspected death cap mushroom poisonings in early August.
The community of Korumburra, with a population of around 5000 people, were invited to join a public memorial for their much-loved neighbours at the town's recreation centre on the afternoon of August 31.
Simon Patterson, the couple's son, farewelled his parents with a heartbreaking speech.
"As mum and dad lay in comas in the hospital in their final days and each day we were unsure if they would recover or not, it was comforting to know that when we said 'see you later', we knew it was true.
"The only thing we didn't know was when. In the meantime, we'll miss them."
Mr Patterson revealed his father had received an emergency liver transplant but "sadly the rest of his body was already too sick to go on past that point".
He said his parents were "very much a team working at life together".
"The fact they died on consecutive days is fitting in some ways, as it reflects their togetherness as a couple that they always worked so hard to grow," he said during the memorial.
The Patterson's, both 70, died in hospital after their daughter-in-law Erin Patterson cooked a beef Wellington for their lunch at her Leongatha home in Victoria's southeast on July 29.
Mourners also had Gail's sister Heather Wilkinson, 66, in their thoughts.
Mrs Patterson and her sister died in hospital on August 4 and Mr Patterson died on August 5.
The Korumburra Baptist community has been praying for the recovery of Mrs Wilkinson's husband and local church pastor Ian Wilkinson, who remains in hospital in a critical but stable condition.
South Gippsland mayor Nathan Hersey said a large turnout was expected at the service.
"For a lot of people, it's going to mean an opportunity to again, reflect, but also to give thanks for the lives of people who have been instrumental in our community," Councillor Hersey told AAP.
"It's going to be closure to say goodbye and to have that opportunity to grieve that hasn't been there because it's been so public and been such an unusual circumstance.
"It's been a very almost unprecedented experience for people in the area with the way it has played out so publicly but also because it is people who have contributed so much."
The couple was recently laid to rest during a private burial after the town was thrust into the spotlight over speculation about what led to the deaths.
Ms Patterson, who has not been charged, is considered a suspect.
Councillor Hersey said he understood Mr and Mrs Patterson's memorial service would reflect the couple's Christian faith.
"The Patterson family has expressed their deep gratitude for the outpouring of love, support and understanding during this challenging time," an earlier statement issued on behalf of the family said.
"In keeping with Don and Gail's wishes and character, the family has chosen to commemorate their lives in a manner that reflects their values and the love they shared with their community."
The 46-year-old Ms Patterson has claimed she made the beef wellington using button mushrooms from a major supermarket and dried mushrooms bought at an Asian grocery store.
Her estranged husband Simon was due to attend the lunch but pulled out, while her children were also out of the house at the time of the meal.
The children ate the leftover beef wellington the next day but Ms Patterson scraped off the mushrooms because they don't usually eat them, she said.
Ms Patterson said she ate a serving and later suffered bad stomach pains and diarrhoea, contrary to the suggestion of detectives that she did not fall ill.
The Victorian Department of Health is required to act if there is a food safety incident.
There have been no ordered recalls of mushroom products in the state since the suspected poisonings.
With Australian Associated Press
IN OTHER NEWS:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.