Wattle Hill Care of Bunbury won the Prime Super Employer Excellence in Aged Care Award at the 2016 Regional Achievement and Community Awards last Friday night.
This year's regional award winners were announced at a gala awards presentation dinner at the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre.
About 500 guests gathered from across the state including Shane Love MLA, parliamentary secretary to the Minister for Regional Development to celebrate regional WA’s high achievers and community contributors.
The not-for-profit retirement village and residential aged care facility has 100 staff and 62 residents.
Activities include bus outings, live entertainment, and concerts.
They offer a flexible staff roster, staff incentive program, and internal and external staff training.
They host an annual quiz night with funds raised going to Alzheimer's Australia.
They have raised $8000 to purchase an advanced, interactive therapeutic robot, designed to stimulate patients with dementia.
Facility manager Hazel Gordon said Wattle Hill Care would not be what it is today without its employees.
"It is very difficult to run without your staff if you're short-staffed. Residents need to have the care available to them," she said.
"I am really stoked for Wattle Hill and for the staff to win this award.”
Gordon said morale among the facility’s staff was of utmost importance, and always welcomed staff input.
“Our staff are our greatest asset, we can't be one of the most sought after facilities in the South West without the staff that we have.
"I am just really pleased and stunned that we won the award. It's a hard industry to work in, just to be appreciated for we've done is fantastic."
Winners each received a $2000 awards prize from foundation partner Commonwealth Bank and a trophy.
The awards night on October 28 culminated a tremendously successful year with 320 nominations received from across regional Western Australia.
The 2016 category winners are:
· Community TAB Community Service Award – Andrew Foulon of Manjimup
· Prime Super Employer Excellence in Aged Care Award – Wattle Hill Care of Bunbury
· Insurance Commission of Western Australia Regional Safety Award – RoadWise Committee of Kimberley
· Curtin University Teaching Excellence Award – Jade Warrington of Withers
· Worldwide Printing Solutions Sports Award – Chelsea Randall of Newman
· Prime Super Community Group of the Year Award – Earbus Foundation of Western Australia of Wembley
· Indago Solutions Agricultural Innovation Award – Advance Packing - Fresh Produce Alliance of Manjimup
· Rinehart Development of Northern Regional WA Award – Onslow Chamber of Commerce and Industry
· Horizon Power Leadership and Innovation Award – Andrew Outhwaite of Geraldton
· LandCorp Sustainability Award – Wheatbelt Integrity Group of Newdegate
· RAC Volunteering Award – Robert Reekie of Busselton
· CHB Group People's Choice Award – Alycia Bermingham of Manjimup
· Department of Regional Development Overall State Winner – Advance Packing - Fresh Produce Alliance of Manjimup
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.