SWFL 2017 rd 8: Bunbury defeat South Bunbury in WA Day Derby

The Bunbury Bulldogs have claimed a convincing victory over the South Bunbury Tigers to take out the WA Day Derby Cup by 15 points.

A dominant first quarter from South Bunbury was not enough for the Tigers to hold onto the lead, with the Bulldogs just too strong after the first break.

Both teams came out firing for the Monday afternoon clash with Leigh Kohlmann sealing the game's first major for the Tigers just seconds after the first whistle.

With impressive crowds gathered at Payne Park for the annual public holiday game, cheers erupted from all over the ground for South Bunbury's early lead.

The Tigers continued to dominate for the quarter, with five behinds and another two goals thanks to the efforts of Guy Piggot and Matthew Giacci.

Brett Peake and Matt Martin struggled to do much in the Bunbury forward line, both players missing targets and goals in the first quarter.

Zac Jerrard was the first to score for Bunbury in the final minutes of the opening term, before a 50 metre penalty was awarded Tiger Mason Hislop for a late hit on the mark but the away side were unable to convert it into a score before the siren rang.

South Bunbury led the Bulldogs comfortably 3.5.23 to 1.3.9 at the first break.

But the Bulldogs came back with a renewed fight, making their rivals work harder for the ball than in the opening term.

The Tigers took control of the ball early with Damon Bull celebrating a quick goal down the end of many Bulldogs supporters.

A number of missed scoring opportunities for South Bunbury's Craig Mezger and Ryan Bennell saw frustrations boiling over among Tigers supporters.

Thanks to a foolish late hit from South Bunbury, Paddy Farrant was able to work hard in the midfield and in Bunbury's forward 50 to get the ball to Matt Martin who kicked Bunbury's first major for the second term from a set shot in the right pocket.

But in a very quick return, Piggott scored his second for the Tigers and the crowd roared.

Bunbury was looking tired until Peake scored an impressive goal on the run, ducking and weaving through multiple opponents.

Martin scored another behind before a scrambled goal from Bunbury got the Bulldogs back in the game.

Farrant scored his first goal as Bunbury began to take control of the game.

Peake marked a beauty in the right pocket and attempted a set shot at goal on an impossibly tight angle but it crossed the face of the goal for a behind.

After what felt like forever in the Bulldogs forward 50, the Tigers managed to bring the ball down quickly with Jack Deschamp taking an impressive contested mark in front and finishing it off with a goal to take back more of a lead for South Bunbury.

Following on from the momentum, Kohlmann kicked his second on the siren to extend the Tigers lead going into the half time break.

After a bit of a scare for the visitors in the second term, they looked comfortably in front 7.9.51 to 5.7.37 at the main break.

Brett Peake opened up the second half with a steal from a Tigers handball, going on to kick a goal on the run to put the Dogs within eight points.

Farrant was awarded a free kick in the right pocket but tricked the Tigers to kick to Peake about 30 metres out, right in front allowing him to seal his third for the game.

Bull quickly returned the goal for the Tigers, making things very close and very interesting on the scoreboard.

The Bulldogs improved their defensive pressure making it difficult for South Bunbury to work the ball into their forward 50 but Jaxon Bell continued to work hard in the midfield for the Tigers with impressive tackles, disposals and contested marks.

A goal from Martin and two from Jordan Falco saw the Bulldogs get up and in front of South Bunbury at three-quarter time, the Tigers trailing 11.8.74 to 9.10.64.

Bunbury's defence continued to improve into the final term, shutting down the visitors and limiting them to just one goal in the fourth quarter.

Braiden Mcmullen sealed an impressive major for the first goal of the term before Bennell was forced off for the blood rule.

A defeated Tigers side through everything they had at the Dogs but the impressive home crowd continued to spur Bunbury on and they held strong on their lead.

A last ditch attempt from Piggott saw him seal his third for the game but it wasn't enough for the away side to take back their lead.

The final siren blew with the crowd erupting, celebrating the Dogs unexpected win for the WA Day Derby, claiming a 13.9.87 to 10.12.72 victory over second-on-the-ladder South Bunbury.

WATCH: Bunbury captain Bradley Blake accept the WA Day Derby Cup for the victorious Bulldogs side.

Impressive goal-scorer and forward Jordan Falco was awarded the WA Day Derby Medal for his undeniable contribution to the game.

Bunbury will head to Busselton next Saturday to take on the Magpies, while South Bunbury prepare to host the Augusta-Margaret River Hawks on Sunday.