South West athletes kicked off Australia Day celebrations this morning with the 2018 Neverfail Australia Day Fun Run, hosted by the Bunbury Runners Club.
The event began at 7.30am at the Leschenault Inlet opposite Bicentennial Square with this year’s event marking the run’s 25th anniversary and the 15th operated by the Whitfield family.
Race director Allan Whitfield said the event brought the community together for some exercise and healthy interaction.
“As a community event, it’s an opportunity for having a great start to our national holiday and it benefits local charities as well,” he said.
The route moved along Koombana Drive and travels through Richmond Street, and onto Austral Parade, past the Parade Hotel and finished near the Pat Usher Memorial.
Australia Day in Bunbury!
- 6.30am - APEX BBQ Breakfast
- 7.30am - Bunbury Runners Club Fun Run
- 8.30am - Mayor's Citizenship Ceremony
- 11am - Side Show Alley opens
- 4pm - Food vans, markets, rides and music begins
- 8.30pm - Skyfest Fireworks Display!