Journalists, editors and publishers around the world have rallied to the aid of the Charlie Hebdo magazine after the brutal attack on its staff in Paris, when armed militants rampaged through the magazine's headquarters, calling out the names of targetted staff and then shooting them dead. Within 24 hours of the slaughter of 12 people – including eight journalists – some €250,000 (more than $360,000) had been earmarked to support Charlie Hebdo by the Digital Press Fund, paid for by Google, to support the French press. "We are a fund for the press," said Ludovic Blecher, director of Google fund. "We must enable them to be able to write, even if we don't agree, it's a question of diversity of speech." Richard Malka, Charlie Hebdo's lawyer, said the satirical French weekly magazine has been offered logistical and financial support from a number of French and international media outlets in a heartening show of support. As the international media considered their own responses to the tragedy, Martin Rowson, a Guardian cartoonist and chairman of the British Cartoonists' Association, called on his fellow cartoonists to join him in "donating a free drawing" to help ensure that publication can go ahead. Chief executives from a range of French media, including the giant organisations cable television company CANAL+ and the wire service Agence France Presse and smaller outlets such as radio station SKYROCK.fm, gathered at the Ministry of Culture office in Paris on Thursday to pledge their assistance in making sure that Charlie Hebdo continues to be published. "These journalists represent freedom of the press and, moreover, the spirit of liberty itself," they said in a joint statement. "We, the French media, stand ready to offer the human and material resources necessary to keep Charlie Hebdo alive". Emmanuel Hoog, chief executive of l'Agence France-Presse, said: "Charlie Hebdo must continue, not to do so would be to surrender." First major media organisations to offer assistance to the magazine were Le Monde newspaper, public radio broadcaster Radio France and public television network France Televisions. They pledged to commit "all the means necessary for Charlie Hebdo to survive". They also invited other French media outlets to do the same in order to "protect freedom of expression". Mr Malka said that thanks to the support from these media outlets, Charlie Hebdo will produce 1 million copies of its next issue, as opposed to its usual print run of 60,000. Ironically, copies of the latest issue of Charlie Hebdo - which was in the red before Wednesday's brutal assault - are already fetching astronomical prices online, drawing bids of more than €70,000 for one magazine ($AU105,000) on Ebay. A surge in support has also been seen from individuals and non-media companies who promised to buy or subscribe to Charlie Hebdo, when the next issue is publised on Wednesday. "The magazine is going to continue ... because we can't allow stupidity to win," said Patrick Pelloux, a contributor to the magazine, in an emotional interview with French digital television network, iTele. Expressions of support for Charlie Hebdo went viral on Twitter. je m&#39;abonne à charlie hebdo des mercredi pour faire vivre le journal et ne pas laisser la place au terrorisme!&mdash; psyom (@psy0m) January 9, 2015 "I'm subscribing to Charlie Hebdo this Wednesday so that the magazine may live and we do not give terrorism any ground." #Je suis Charlie. J&#39;achète Charlie Hebdo mercredi. je m&#39;abonne à la presse libre. pic.twitter.com/SzJx8AeQNy&mdash; Marie-Olga Charriol (@molgabc) January 8, 2015 "I'm buying Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday. I'm subscribing to freedom of the press."